Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lone Sailor Awards Dinner

by Caitlín

Last night the Skipper and I attended the United States Navy Memorial's Lone Sailor Awards Dinner. We only had a week and a half of notice that we were going. At the last NCAC Wardroom Meeting it was announced that there were two spots still open at the table of ten that is donated annually to Sea Scouts. Everyone except for my mom and me was either already going or had attended previously.

So they talked talked us into going, even though at the time we had nothing suitable to wear. As a Scout, I technically should have been in dress whites, but we don't even have our work uniforms yet (but the delay isn't our fault; the Ship Store is relocating).

But Skipper Yeckley of Ship 458 (S.S.S. Sea Eagle) said he would send us some of the donated US Navy uniforms that could be converted to Sea Scout uniforms. Unfortunately they had not come by the time we left, so both the Skipper and I were in black dresses and heels.

We arrived at the National Building Museum (NBM) at 4:40, very early for a 6:00 dinner. I was not in the best of moods; I could hardly move my arms in my dress, my feet were already getting a bit sore from wearing heels (which my feet are completely unaccustomed to), parties are not my thing, and I felt stupid wearing a dress. But I tried to make the best of it, and fortunately enjoyed the evening a lot more than I expected. Not that I'd want to do that sort of thing all the time...but it was kind of fun.
(Right: The stage area, with two of the TVs and the fountain.)

After we checked in we went to our table (#77), which was faaar back from the stage area and behind a row of the immense pillars that soar to the ceiling. But several large TV screens had been placed around the room so that those who couldn't see the podium directly could watch the speaker.

We didn't see anyone else from our party, so we wandered around the building, checking out the decorations from the second level balcony (imagine trying to walk up and down the highly-polished brick stairs of the NBM in heels!) and trying to spot the other Sea Scouts who were coming. We took a total of four whole pictures before the batteries on our camera died. The man in the gift shop said there was a CVS a block away where they would have digital camera batteries, but we didn't think we would be able to walk that far in high heels.
(Above: The Sea Scout ad featured in the program, along with our table number.)

Luckily Rob Haas and Basil from Ship 1009 (S.S.S. Sea Devil) had recently arrived, and Mr. Haas offered to let us use his camera.

Steve Nichols--Captain of SSTV der PeLiKan--showed up much closer to 1800 hours, and soon after him came Andrew of Ship 1942 (S.S.S. Dragonlady). And then there was a lot of talking, eating the yummy little hors d'oeuvres brought to us by the waitstaff, and standing around, which I'm sure I would have enjoyed more if I hadn't been thinking, Oh my gosh my feet hurt!

My mom wanted to circle the room and see if there was anyone she recognized, so I went with her because I thought walking might help my feet a little. It didn't, and we saw no one she knew. When we got back to our group, we immediately sat down at one of the small tables placed around the reception and bar area.

It felt so good to sit (and slip my shoes off beneath the long gold table cloth!) that we remained that way until dinner was served. I talked with Andrew and Basil--neither of whom I know well--a little, and people-watched. There were people in all types of dress, from movie star-like to elegantly simple, to a couple pretty "unique" outfits.

Finally we were called to our tables to begin dining. At our table we met the liaisons between the gentleman who donates the table and the Sea Scouts themselves. Above right: Basil, me, and Andrew sit down to our very prettily laid out first course of, to quote the menu:

A savory Tomato Tarte Tatin Baked in a Puff Pastry Crust Served with Endive and Green Leaf Lettuces Drizzled with Basil Pesto Vinaigrette

French Dinner Breads,
Housemade Black Bread with Raisins,
Madeleines
and Cheese Straws Served with Sweet Butter

Except none of us really knew what we were eating until later in the evening when we read the menu. We were hungry, it was food, it was good, that's all that mattered. By the time the announcer said, "Ladies and gentleman, please go to your table so the ceremony can begin" four or five times to get everyone to sit down and stop talking, we were almost finished with our first course.

The colors were presented, an invocation was given, the National Anthem was played by the U.S. Navy Band, the Pledge of Allegiance was recited, and Rear Admiral Richard Buchanan gave the welcome. Awards were presented to United States Congressman Norman Dicks and John H. McConnell, and then we dined on:

Noisettes of Lamb marinated with Lavender, Oregano, Garlic, and Pinot Noir
Filets of Grouper seasoned with Basil and Shallot-infused Olive Oil, oven-roasted with freshly prepared pesto
Artichoke Bottoms filled with an Artichoke and Potato Puree

After dinner the representatives of A.G. Lafley and Arnold Palmer received their awards while we had a "trio of American classics" for dessert.

Miniature Coconut Cupcakes dusted with Red, White and Blue Sprinkles, Miniature Chocolate Cheesecake topped with Cherries, and Miniature Apple Crisp

The little circle on the right is not, as I first thought, a pog. And it was edible, as we three Scouts discovered after suspicious examination. It was actually white chocolate, with an image of the Lone Sailor and "United States Navy Memorial" printed on it.

A bit after dessert was finished, it was finally time for the closing remarks, and I think we were all ready for them. Some of the speakers were more interesting than others, but it had been a long evening and personally I was about ready to fall asleep at the table.

Before we parted ways, the group of us said we'd see each other in January at Winter Training.

Basil, myself, Andrew, Steve Nichols, and Rob Haas. Notice that somehow my mother escaped being in any photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How you gonna keep them down on the farm....